You’ve been involved in a car accident and have suffered significant injuries, but can the driver causing your injuries be held legally responsible for his or her actions? They can, but only if they were careless or negligent in their actions. In general, a careless or negligent motorist is one who displays “wanton disregard for the rules of the road.” To give you a more accurate idea of what careless or negligent means, take a look at the following examples of such driving
We Are Experienced Car Accident Lawyers for New York City
You are here: Car Accident Lawyer New York
JUST CALL US
WE CAN ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS
Harnick & Harnick will handle your New York Car Accident Lawyer Needs.
Get a Car Accident Lawyer in New York Tirelessly Advocating for Your Rights!
Causes of Accidents and why you need a Car Accident Lawyer in New York City
- Drunk driving – This is pretty straightforward. If the other driver’s BAC levels exceed state limits, they are considered careless or negligent motorists.
- Distracted driving – This can include a number of different behaviors such as eating, talking or texting on a cell phone, or applying makeup while driving. At a higher level, this simply means the other driver was engaged in some action that diverts their attention from the road in front of them.
- Running a stop sign
- Turning right on a red light
- Failing to use a turn signal when changing lanes
- Speeding up aggressively at an intersection full of pedestrians
- Driving far above the speed limit
- Racing with another motorist
- Ignoring traffic signals
- Abrupt lane changes
- Carrying too many passengers
Reasons you need a New York Car Accident Lawyer
As you can see, there are many reasons someone else could cause an accident and be legally considered a careless or negligent motorist. However, this isn’t a complete list – there are literally hundreds of reasons someone may be considered careless.
If you believe you have been injured as a result of the inconsiderate or thoughtless driving of another motorist, contact Harnick & Harnick’s accident lawyers in New York. We will give you a FREE CASE REVIEW, where we examine and discuss all the details of your case, which helps us determine whether it is legally viable or not.
What to do If You Are in a Car Accident
Whether your case holds up in court or not depends to a certain extent on the actions you take immediately following your accident. Regardless of whether or not you are at fault, you should do the following to protect yourself and others at the scene of the incident:
- Make sure everyone is safe. If someone is seriously injured, make sure to call 911.
- Call the police.
- Exchange contact information with the other motorist (name, phone number, e-mail address, license plate number)
- Take photos of the damage and your injuries.
- Photograph the accident scene to verify road conditions, skid marks, debris in the road, and vehicle positions.
- Also photograph location identifiers, including the intersection, address, and exit number.
- Get the company name, policy number, and phone number of the other driver.
- DO NOT say, “I’m sorry.” Even if you are not at fault and you say this to decrease tension with the other driver, it can be seen as an admission of guilt in court.
If after the accident you believe the other motorist is at fault for your injuries and the damage to your vehicles, get a Car Accident Lawyer New York dwellers can trust! Contact Harnick & Harnick online or by phone at 212.962.5065 for a FREE CASE REVIEW. We will thoroughly examine all details regarding your case, and if we believe you have a legally valid personal injury claim, our accident lawyers in New York will pursue your case to the maximum extent of the law.
HARNICK & HARNICK - ACCIDENT LAWYERS IN NEW YORK COMING TO YOUR DEFENSE
Call Us! (212) 962-5065
305 Broadway NYC 10007